stargate (1994)Created by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich, Stargate was released in 1994. Merging the genres of military and science fiction, it garned mixed critical reviews but was a worldwide success, spawning an incredibly successful franchise of books, comics, tv programmes and various types of merchandise.
An action adventure, Stargate tells the story of an ancient device uncovered in Egypt and the American military's efforts to unlock its secrets. When the key to the Stargate is finally uncovered, we follow a group of military men and an archaeologist, as they travel to another world.
Available in theatrical and director's cut editions, Stargate is available on DVD and blu-ray..
- Kurt Russell as Colonel Jack O'Neil
- James Spader as Dr Daniel Jackson
- Jaye Davidson as Ra
- Alexis Cruz as Skaara
- Mili Avital as Sha'uri
- Erick Avari as Kasuf
- John Diehl as Lieutenant Colonel Charles Kawalsky
- French Stewart as Technical Sergeant Louis Feretti
- Viveca Lindfors as Dr Catherine Langford
- Leon Rippy as Major General W.O. West
- Richard Kind as Dr Gary Meyers
- Rae Allen as Dr Barbara Shore
- Derek Webster as Senior Airman Brown
- Christopher John Fields as Staff Sergeant Freeman
- Jack Moore as Senior Airman Reilly
- Steve Giannelli as Senior Airman Porro
- Djimon Honsou as Horus Guard #1
- Carlos Lauchu as Anubis Guard #1
- Cecil Hoffman as Sarah O'Neil
- Created by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich
- Directed by Roland Emmerich
- Music by David Arnold
- Cinematography by Karl Walter Lindenlaub
- Costumes by Joseph Porro
- Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich merged two films they had been working on seperately to create Stargate.
- Devlin and Emmerich were sued by an Egyptology student who claimed that they had stolen the storyline of the movie from him. They settled out of court.
- The movie was planned to be the first part in a trilogy. However, the second and third parts were never developed and the rights to the franchise were given to MGM.
- Originally, the story was planned to be told chronologically. Flashbacks were added during the editing process.
- The scenes set in Egypt were filmed in Arizona.
- In some scenes, background extras are actually figures made of sticks and/or mannequins, covered in cloth.
- The Stargate was originally black but was repainted to silver when it looked too similar to a tyre.
- The Director's Cut of the movie, features several extra scenes, including one that implied that efforts had been made to travel through the Earth Stargate whilst it was buried.
- Theatrical trailers and promo reels included on a European release of the DVD feature several snippets of footage which do not appear in the Theatrical or Director's Cut editions of the movie.
- The Egyptologist, Stuart Tyson Smith, was hired to ensure the hieroglyphics and Ancient Egytpain dialect used in the film were as accurate as possible.
- Stargate was only the second movie that David Arnold had scored and the first from a major studio.
- James Spader has stated that he thought the screenplay was 'awful'.
- Jaye Davidson refused to remove his nipple rings during filming and several scenes had to be shot slightly differetly to take this in account.
- Vaitiare Bandera auditioned for the role of Sha'uri but was unsuccessful. However, she went on to play the character (renamed Sha're) in Stargate SG-1.
- Alexis Cruz (Skaara) and Erick Avari (Kasuf) both went on to reprise their roles in Stargate SG-1.
- Richard Kind (Dr. Gary Meyers) would later appear in Stargate: Atlantis as Lucius Lavin.
- This was French Stewart's film debut.
- Stargate was the first movie to have an official website.
- Upon release, Stargate set a record for the highest-grossing opening weekend for a film released in the month of October.
- The film was the winner of several awards including the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film and the BMI Film Music Award.
- Two novelisations of the movie, as well as five books based on the movie were released between 1994 and 1999.
- Three comic series based on the movie were released by Entity Comics.
- Several action figures and models were also released.